Wednesday, November 21, 2012

steven truong.

story & photo by Vy Le

Steven Truong is currently a merchandising student who is semester away from completing the fashion program.   With his keen eye for fashion and his meticulous attention to detail, I could think of no one better to interview than Steven on his experiences at OCC. 

What made you decide to enroll in the Fashion program at OCC?

Aside from the accessibility and affordability of what OCC can offer, I later found out after taking a few classes at OCC that the Fashion program at OCC has a lot to offer, but what I do like about the program here is that the Fashion department faculty is caring and is always trying to make improvements in the program to remain relevant and current in the fast-paced and always-changing fashion industry.

What has been your favorite course so far and why?

I guess if I had to choose one, it would be Lauren Becker’s Clothing Design and Selection class. I found the class to be interesting learning about clothing personalities an individual encompasses, and the importance of clothing selection in terms of flattering one’s figure and enhancing one’s best physical features. As much fun trends may be, we must realize that not all trends are for everyone, and they are not meant for everyone. This doesn’t mean that fashion can’t be fun though.

Has the Fashion program at OCC provided you with any new opportunities?

The Fashion program at OCC has definitely provided me with opportunities. The Fashion department faculty definitely has connections to the local fashion industry, and I do hope students know that and take advantage of that. I was able to meet Susan Koziak, a fashion show coordinator who manages and operates all aspects of fashion shows done here in Orange County and Los Angeles, and Janet Harp, the Marketing and Community Relations manager of the LAB and the CAMP, the popular retail sites here in Costa Mesa. Not only have I met these two, I am still currently working with them. Last but not least, the program also allowed me to obtain an internship with RIVIERA Orange County Magazine as a marketing intern.

What do you see yourself doing in the future, and do you think your education at OCC has provided you with the proper tools and knowledge to succeed in the fashion industry?

Since I love almost every aspect of the fashion industry, it is difficult for me to see myself in one specific role in the fashion industry. I will say that I can see myself as a public relations manager for an upscale department store like Barneys New York or a fashion director for a magazine like Vogue or L’Uomo Vogue (Italian Men’sVogue).

I do believe my education here at OCC has provided me the proper tools and knowledge to succeed in the fashion industry. The tools that I find crucial actually are more about employment skills than fashion knowledge, such as building business contacts, proper writing skills, and Microsoft Excel skills, to name a few.

Last but not least, are there any fall/winter trends that you are currently coveting?

A cotton white mock turtleneck (Prada has a great one for this fall) and a good military green hacking vest (preferably the one from Polo Ralph Lauren or Club Monaco). 

No comments: